"Shalkyma" concert hall
The building which was constructed upon the project of architects Kalmykov and Rit in 1937 is now an important historical monument. In Soviet times here was located “Oktyabr” cinema. During World War II it was a place from where the military units formed in Karaganda city would be sent to the front. Thus, in April 1942 here took place the farewell meeting of the 77th artillery regiment of the 29th division with the working people of Karaganda. Later the cinema was renamed and rebuilt as a concert hall. At present here is located “Shalkyma” concert hall, where classical music concerts and various events are held regularly.
Photo: Old Karaganda (www.vk.com/old_karaganda) - 1957